Autism at School: How Teachers Can Help, With Dr Brenda Smith Myles
School can be a challenging time for children and adolescents with autism. Each child on the autism spectrum has very different needs and therefore, there is no one-size-fits-all policy for assisting students with autism. However, there are many things that teachers can do to make their time at school run smoothly, which this fantastic course with the world-renowned autism expert Dr Brenda Smith Myles will teach you.
Join us for two live workshops with Dr Brenda Smith Myles spilt over two days:
Part 1 - Rumbling Behaviours and Interventions (1 June, 2PM - 3.30PM)
Discussing how to deal with tantrums, rages and meltdowns, with practical strategies for you to try.
Part 2 - Student-Teacher Relationships (14 June, 2PM - 3.30PM)
Discussing the development of positive teacher-student relationships in students with autism.
About The Course
1. Before attending the live workshop sessions with Brenda, you will receive two e-learning videos to watch providing you with more understanding, knowledge updates and practical strategies so that you can make a difference to the autistic children or adolescents you support in the education setting or at home.
2. If you would like, try out Brenda’s tried and tested practical strategies and ideas within these videos before the live Zoom workshop sessions. It is not compulsory to do this, but for the best learning experience, we would recommend this.
3. Attend the live Zoom workshop sessions with Brenda on 1 June & 14 June, which will provide further opportunity to develop your understanding and knowledge, discuss the strategies you may have tried, share experiences, gain supportive feedback and ask Brenda your questions.
What You Will Gain From Course
- Increased knowledge and understanding.
- Packed full of practical strategies and ideas for you to try immediately.
- Brenda’s e-learning videos.
- Support and feedback from Brenda through the live Zoom sessions.
- Sharing of information and ideas with your group.
- A certificate of completion for evidence of professional development.
Who Should Attend?
Teachers, special education teachers, speech language therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, early years educators, mental health providers, behaviour consultants, parents and others educating students with autism and related developmental disabilities are welcome to attend.
About Your Tutor - Dr Brenda Smith Myles
Brenda is an internationally-renowned expert in autism and is acknowledged as the second-most productive applied researcher in ASD in the world. She has made over 3000 presentations worldwide and written more than 300 articles and books on ASD.
Brenda’s commitment and contribution to the research and awareness of ASD has resulted in the receipt of numerous awards, including The Autism Society of America’s Outstanding Professional Award and The Global and Regional Asperger Syndrome Divine Neurotypical Award.
Probably Brenda’s most popular book, ‘The Hidden Curriculum’ is an essential resource for anyone working with children, teenagers or adults with ASD.
How You Join Us For Zoom Workshops
After booking, you will be sent two e-learning videos to watch and instructions to join Brenda for the live Zoom sessions.
You will need a computer, tablet or smartphone connected to the internet to access. As it is a training course, it is best you use your microphone and webcam.
We will send on the Zoom link via your registration email 3 days before the live workshop.
If you don’t see it, check your junk email box, email email@example.com or call 0141 638 4098.
If you haven’t used Zoom, you can download it in advance. There is a free version via this link > https://zoom.us/signup
On the Zoom website, there are instructions for you to follow. Please do give us a call if you would like any further help. Some organisations do not allow use of Zoom, so please check this in advance of the meeting and use your own personal equipment if need be.
It is best to register at least 10 days before your course date to give time to watch your e-learning videos first.
If you can’t make one of the live workshop dates, we can send you a recording of the live session afterwards.